LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

JKCade
Literature Addict

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"Two hours", XXX muttered,"We've (...) hours...."

"Two hours," muttered Bothari, "We've only been in this bloody place two bloody hours..."
The Warrior's Apprentice.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Hi, James ! Welcome back !
Yes, you are correct, 1 1/2 points and the next quote.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Hello," said XXX brightly. "You, uh, waited, YYY. Thanks, though I don't think you needed to."
ZZZ's brows rose in faint, ironic disagreement.

XXX?
Who / what is YYY?
ZZZ?
Book?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 pm "Hello," said XXX brightly. "You, uh, waited, YYY. Thanks, though I don't think you needed to."

XXX?
Who / what is YYY?
ZZZ?
Book?
Hi again, James.
I haven't guessed yet and anyway, I am still in my 5 days "no ping-pong" period.
Just to note that, from the way you posted, you are using the old rule, i.e. if there is no prompt answer, you give a longer form of the same quote, or hints about that quote. That was the rule last time you played, and it is perfectly fine that you use it this turn.

This is just to inform you that, recently, we introduced a new rule, "character centered" rather than "quote centered". One gives a quote by some character. The main question is to find who said that particular quote. If more characters are named in the quote, they might be the subject of a bonus, if the OP wants so, but this is optional.
But if there is no prompt answer, then one give a totally different quote by the same character rather than a longer quote or hints. Quite possibly in a different book.

Please look a the recently posted questions to see how it works. So next time you win, please follow the new rule. But don't bother about this time, we will not expect you to change rule in mid-quote. Just extend the same quote, of give hints about it. Don't give a different quote by XXX.

This of course would be moot if some player answers so fast that you have no time to consider "helping" us one way or another.

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm
JKCade wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 pm "Hello," said XXX brightly. "You, uh, waited, YYY. Thanks, though I don't think you needed to."

XXX?
Who / what is YYY?
ZZZ?
Book?
Hi again, James.
I haven't guessed yet and anyway, I am still in my 5 days "no ping-pong" period.
Just to note that, from the way you posted, you are using the old rule, i.e. if there is no prompt answer, you give a longer form of the same quote, or hints about that quote. That was the rule last time you played, and it is perfectly fine that you use it this turn.

This is just to inform you that, recently, we introduced a new rule, "character centered" rather than "quote centered". One gives a quote by some character. The main question is to find who said that particular quote. If more characters are named in the quote, they might be the subject of a bonus, if the OP wants so, but this is optional.
But if there is no prompt answer, then one give a totally different quote by the same character rather than a longer quote or hints. Quite possibly in a different book.

Please look a the recently posted questions to see how it works. So next time you win, please follow the new rule. But don't bother about this time, we will not expect you to change rule in mid-quote. Just extend the same quote, of give hints about it. Don't give a different quote by XXX.

This of course would be moot if some player answers so fast that you have no time to consider "helping" us one way or another.
Hi! I'm good with both systems, myself...
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A lil' hint, maybe ? (Old style, on the same quote) Thanks !

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 am A lil' hint, maybe ? (Old style, on the same quote) Thanks !
I'd rather have a large hint!
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Hello," said XXX brightly. "You, uh, waited, YYY. Thanks, though I don't think you needed to."
"You have been granted an unusual honor, XXX," said AAA, nodding towards the (thing/place/event).

XXX?
Who / what is YYY?
ZZZ?
Book?

A thousand apologies for the delay, I had to go out of state on short notice for work and was busy enough I flat forgot about the game; just got home today.
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

JKCade wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:47 pm "Hello," said XXX brightly. "You, uh, waited, YYY. Thanks, though I don't think you needed to."
"You have been granted an unusual honor, XXX," said AAA, nodding towards the (thing/place/event).

XXX?
Who / what is YYY?
ZZZ?
Book?

A thousand apologies for the delay, I had to go out of state on short notice for work and was busy enough I flat forgot about the game; just got home today.
XXX = Miles
YYY = "sir" - refers to the Ambassador
ZZZ = Vorob'yev
2nd XXX = "Lorrd Vorkosigan"
AAA = Benin (Col Dag)
Book = Cetaganda
Karen Hunt
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Correct!
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Whoops, just noticed I used "XXX" twice, my most sincere apologies.
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

JKCade wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:53 pm Whoops, just noticed I used "XXX" twice, my most sincere apologies.
Well, they are the same person - just addressed differently each time
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

"Any man can be kind when he is comfortable. I'd always thought kindness a trivial virtue, therefore. But when we were hungry, thirsty, sick, frightened, with our deaths shouting at us, in the heart of horror, you were still as unfailingly courteous as a gentleman at ease before his own hearth."

Who says this?
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

KarenHunt wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:36 pm "Any man can be kind when he is comfortable. I'd always thought kindness a trivial virtue, therefore. But when we were hungry, thirsty, sick, frightened, with our deaths shouting at us, in the heart of horror, you were still as unfailingly courteous as a gentleman at ease before his own hearth."

Who says this?
In response, another person says:
“Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men have always a choice—if not whether, then how, they may endure.”

Bonus: Who says the second statement?
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:36 pm "Any man can be kind when he is comfortable. I'd always thought kindness a trivial virtue, therefore. But when we were hungry, thirsty, sick, frightened, with our deaths shouting at us, in the heart of horror, you were still as unfailingly courteous as a gentleman at ease before his own hearth."

Who says this?
Bergon, heir of Ibra
“Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men have always a choice—if not whether, then how, they may endure.”
Cazaril

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:55 am

Who says this?
Bergon, heir of Ibra
Cazaril
Right you are! 1 1/2 points, and the baton goes to you!
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

"You look quite different when you laugh," XXX said, sounding startled. She cocked her head in bemusement.
Who is XXX ?

Bonus : Who is "You" ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:55 pm
"You look quite different when you laugh," XXX said, sounding startled. She cocked her head in bemusement.
Who is XXX ?

Bonus #1: Who is "You" ?
Another quote by XXX
"My father is a zzz. You have that same look in your eyes that he gets, when he's lying through his teeth about some difficulty he's heading into. He can never fool my mother, either."
Hint : XXX also says that to the character called "You" in the first quote.
Bonus #2 : What does zzz stand for ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Who is XXX ?

Another quote by XXX
"My father is a zzz. You have that same look in your eyes that he gets, when he's lying through his teeth about some difficulty he's heading into. He can never fool my mother, either."

One more quote, once more by XXX to "You"
"(...) I didn't talk till I was three. They had me tested. It turned out it was just because my yyys were answering everything for me!"
Bonus #3 Who/what are "yyys" ?

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Who is XXX ?

"(...) I didn't talk till I was three. They had me tested. It turned out it was just because my yyys were answering everything for me!"

XXX = Kareen Koudelka
You = Mark Vorkosigan
zzz = soldier
yyy = sisters
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:43 am "You look quite different when you laugh," XXX said, sounding startled. She cocked her head in bemusement.

Who is XXX ?

XXX = Kareen Koudelka
You = Mark Vorkosigan
zzz = soldier
yyy = sisters

Everything is correct.
You have the next quote and three bonuses !

Sorry for the delay, I have been overbooked lately... !

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"I must ask more about those XXX YYY ZZZ of yours sometime...So what is AAA now?"
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

What about another quote by the same character ?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 am What about another quote by the same character ?
"LLL will have a field day and BBB will have kittens!"
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"I must ask more about those XXX YYY ZZZ of yours sometime...So what is AAA now?"

"Of all political appointments, surely AAA BBB is the least likely to be gained that way," she murmured.

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”