LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

KarenHunt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 am
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:18 am Who lost the use of both hands, if only temporarily?
Me! (this last spring)

Yes, a real response from me would wait five days....
Snowy slope accident?
Barbecue burn?
Inadvertently stuck together with superglue?

The mind boggles ...
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:53 am
KarenHunt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 am
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:18 am Who lost the use of both hands, if only temporarily?
Me! (this last spring)

Yes, a real response from me would wait five days....
Snowy slope accident?
Barbecue burn?
Inadvertently stuck together with superglue?

The mind boggles ...
Weird mix of stuff. Rheumatoid Arthritis in the hands was not being controlled by regular meds (I've been switched to higher-end meds as a result), and I hand-sewed masks for family for COVID which caused a bad flare up of carpal tunnel, and some meds are giving me neuropathy. Three things at once, and I couldn't see my doctor because of the reduce-COVID shutdown. So instead I had panicky zoom sessions with her and she tried to feel my hands through the connection and couldn't, so she had to take her best guess.
Karen Hunt
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

KarenHunt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:29 pm
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:53 am
KarenHunt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 am
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:18 am Who lost the use of both hands, if only temporarily?
Me! (this last spring)

Yes, a real response from me would wait five days....
Snowy slope accident?
Barbecue burn?
Inadvertently stuck together with superglue?

The mind boggles ...
Weird mix of stuff. Rheumatoid Arthritis in the hands was not being controlled by regular meds (I've been switched to higher-end meds as a result), and I hand-sewed masks for family for COVID which caused a bad flare up of carpal tunnel, and some meds were/are giving me neuropathy. Three things at once, and I couldn't see my doctor because of the reduce-COVID shutdown. So instead I had panicky zoom sessions with her and she tried to feel my hands through the connection and couldn't, so she had to take her best guess. My family took on lots of tasks I normally would have done, like cooking and such.
Karen Hunt
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

It took me some time to realize that was EPS actual question for the game ! I thought he was just inquiring about KarenHunt's health...

OK, so it was Miles, in the "glueing pages" of the collection "Borders of Infinity", recovering from a mission assigned to the Dendarii at the end of "BiA".
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:04 am ...
OK, so it was Miles, in the "glueing pages" of the collection "Borders of Infinity", recovering from a mission assigned to the Dendarii at the end of "BiA".
That's ½ point.

I'll wait a while to post this half award for someone to name the other character to -literally- have that handicap.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

IIRC, in TSK , Dag suffers a professional injury. Something like working on a "groundblock" that went awry. Is that it, by any chance ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.

Otherwise I can mention Dr. Curry, in "Falling Free" when Claire uses all her four arms, first, then just her two very strong lower arms, to immobilize both his hands (but shortly after he lost the use of his entire body anyway, because of the anaesthetic....)
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 pm IIRC, in TSK , Dag suffers a professional injury. Something like working on a "groundblock" that went awry. Is that it, by any chance ?
No.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.
...
Again, no.

Well ... actually, partly.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:00 pm
voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.
...
Again, no.

Well ... actually, partly.
Partly to what ?

Do you mean the handicap is "partly intrinsic" ?

Or that the answer about Dr. Curry and Claire is "partly" connected to the answer you are expecting ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:20 pm
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:00 pm
voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.
...
Again, no.
Well ... actually, partly.
Partly to what ?
...
I really thought my reply clearly referred to your quoted sentence "... intrinsic ...", and Clairly not to Dr. Curry.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:56 am
voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:20 pm
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:00 pm
voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.
...
Again, no.
Well ... actually, partly.
Partly to what ?
...
I really thought my reply clearly referred to your quoted sentence "... intrinsic ...", and Clairly not to Dr. Curry.
Not so clearly.

You wrote "Again, no" which meant that again, as for TSK, I failed to answer correctly.

But the sentence
voralfred wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm You are speaking of a handicap, something "intrinsic" to the person.
was not an attempt to answer your question, but rather an oblique question for clarification of the source of the problem, intrinsic handicap vs action of the third party. To which your answer could be "No", but not "Again, no"
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Just replace "Again, no." by "To your second attempt, also no.".

My "again" meaning something like Jacques Dutronc's "Encore!". https://youtu.be/2tLY7TdbqtQ?t=176

Though somewhere in the thread you were getting warm.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:27 am Just replace "Again, no." by "To your second attempt, also no.".

My "again" meaning something like Jacques Dutronc's "Encore!". https://youtu.be/2tLY7TdbqtQ?t=176

Though somewhere in the thread you were getting warm.
The answer is Dag, but it's in Beguiled, when a robber breaks his right arm.

I say baton goes to voralfred, by the way, since he answered first.
Karen Hunt
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

KarenHunt wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:01 am
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:27 am Just replace "Again, no." by "To your second attempt, also no.".

My "again" meaning something like Jacques Dutronc's "Encore!". https://youtu.be/2tLY7TdbqtQ?t=176

Though somewhere in the thread you were getting warm.
The answer is Dag, but it's in Beguiled, when a robber breaks his right arm.

I say baton goes to voralfred, by the way, since he answered first.
Right are you, as say would Yoda.
Half to each a point, but Voralfred up next is.
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

For questions multiple, tradition solid is.
Point repartition OP's prerogative is. But last answerer "baton" gets.

Karen, my pleasure !
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

Back to the old system - identify source of this quote:
In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
Who is XXX?
Who is his sister?
And who is thinking this thought?
Karen Hunt
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 am Back to the old system - identify source of this quote:
In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
Who is XXX? Viserys
Who is his sister? Daenerys
And who is thinking this thought? Khal Drogo

I just realized that George R. R. Martin is nothing but a pseudonym of LMB...
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:20 pm
KarenHunt wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 am Back to the old system - identify source of this quote:
In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
Who is XXX? Viserys
Who is his sister? Daenerys
And who is thinking this thought? Khal Drogo

I just realized that George R. R. Martin is nothing but a pseudonym of LMB...
ummm, no. Perhaps slightly less severe of heckling?
Karen Hunt
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

Extending the quote somewhat:
XXX said eagerly, “Can I go with you?” “Certainly not!” ZZZ cried. XXX looked taken aback. YYY muffled a heartless smile. In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
Who is XXX?
Who is his sister, ZZZ?
And who is YYY, who is thinking this thought?
Karen Hunt
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

And a bit more:
YYY regarded him, trying to imagine a whole life confined to a space scarcely larger than a single day’s AAA. “By your age, [done a lot of travel and activity].” He added after a moment, “Didn’t see the sea for the first time till a couple years later, though.” XXX said eagerly, “Can I go with you?” “Certainly not!” ZZZ cried. XXX looked taken aback. YYY muffled a heartless smile. In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
Who is XXX?
Who is his sister, ZZZ?
And who is YYY, who is thinking this thought?
Karen Hunt
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:15 pm And a bit more:
YYY regarded him, trying to imagine a whole life confined to a space scarcely larger than a single day’s AAA. “By your age, [done a lot of travel and activity].” He added after a moment, “Didn’t see the sea for the first time till a couple years later, though.” XXX said eagerly, “Can I go with you?” “Certainly not!” ZZZ cried. XXX looked taken aback. YYY muffled a heartless smile. In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
A seasoned traveler who has not yet seen the sea ? Hmmm.. Beginning of "Passage" ?

Who is XXX? probably Whit
Who is his sister, ZZZ? Spark, a.k.a Fawn (or vice-versa)
And who is YYY, who is thinking this thought? Dag (Bluefield - not General Dag Benin)

IRRC, YYY and ZZZ relent and take XXX with them to the sea and back.
AAA= lakewalking ? patrolling ? certainly something like that but I don't know the exact word.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
KarenHunt
Scribe
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 am
KarenHunt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:15 pm And a bit more:
YYY regarded him, trying to imagine a whole life confined to a space scarcely larger than a single day’s AAA. “By your age, [done a lot of travel and activity].” He added after a moment, “Didn’t see the sea for the first time till a couple years later, though.” XXX said eagerly, “Can I go with you?” “Certainly not!” ZZZ cried. XXX looked taken aback. YYY muffled a heartless smile. In a lifetime of relentlessly heckling his sister, XXX had clearly never once imagined needing her goodwill for any aim of his own. So do our sins bite us, boy.
A seasoned traveler who has not yet seen the sea ? Hmmm.. Beginning of "Passage" ?

Who is XXX? probably Whit
Who is his sister, ZZZ? Spark, a.k.a Fawn (or vice-versa)
And who is YYY, who is thinking this thought? Dag (Bluefield - not General Dag Benin)

IRRC, YYY and ZZZ relent and take XXX with them to the sea and back.
AAA= lakewalking ? patrolling ? certainly something like that but I don't know the exact word.
Yep, all correct! (AAA = patrolling)

A point and the baton to you!
Karen Hunt
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Might be a bit short. If there are no answers, I'll add a different, longer one....
"Your full name. And your rank."
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5802
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Might be a bit short. If there are no answers, I'll add a different, longer one....
"Your full name. And your rank."
By the same character:
"I thank you, XXX. I will report our progress."
Hint : this is a "long distance" quote. The readers are at XXX's. Our character is far away.
1/2 bonus point for the character represented by XXX, not the exact word XXX our character uses towards the other character in the quote.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Post Reply

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”