Please take a moment to rate and review Jack McDevitt's books!

Science Fiction author Jack McDevitt's work has been on the final Nebula ballot eight of the last nine years.

Official Website: http://jackmcdevitt.com/default.aspx

Moderator: clong

clong
Blade Runner

Please take a moment to rate and review Jack McDevitt's books!

Post by clong »

One of the main purposes of our two book database sites is to let other readers know what you think about books, and why. I hope you will take a moment to rate and/or review Jack's books at ibdof and/or at iblist.
MarkH
Bookworm

Post by MarkH »

I can only really offer marks out of ten and a quick comment for the books at the moment, I'm hoping (if I get time) to write some reviews properly at some point in the future ... I'm doing my bit in getting all my friends hooked, though!

Ancient Shores 7/10 Fascinating concept and good stuff throughout, although I thought the climax (which I won't spoil) let it down a little. It seemed bit 'deus ex machina' to me (has Professor Hawking read it, I wonder?). :)

Deepsix 10/10 Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I love the character of Hutch, and I love to hate McAllister. The creation of an entire alien world was so imaginitive and complete. My only gripe with be that we didn't find out more about the 'lights in the sea' ... but thats unstandable given the situation!

Eternity Road 8/10 Another excellent concept. I was genuinely surprised when a certain character met his demise. A real page-turner and the main character was very likeable, I'd be interested in more stories in this setting.

Hello Out There (Haven't read this yet, but it's on my shelf waiting!)

The Hercules Text (Haven't read this yet)

Infinity Beach / Slow Lightning 9/10 I don't tend to like books set this far in the future and with these kind of concepts (not sure why), but this was a brilliant mystery that kept me hooked. It was the first Jack McDevitt book I read and I'm eager to read it again soon.

Moonfall (Haven't read this yet)

A Talent For War 7/10 I don't tend to like first-person stories, and I found some of the storyline a bit confusing for some reason that I can't place now I think back, but the actual storyline was good and I enjoyed reading this book.

Polaris 8/10 I loved the fact that the mystery of the fate of the Polaris crew had me guessing to the very end. I felt that the technique of jumping narrator towards the end took me out of the story a little, however, but it didn't detract from the plot or my enjoyment of the book too much.

The Engines of God 6/10 It's a while since I read this one, but I seem to recall being a bit confused by what was going on towards the end. That's probably just me being a lazy reader, though. The concept of the Omega clouds is fascinating, though, that and Hutch kept me hooked!

Chindi 8/10 The moments of revelation throughout this book made it another real page turner for me, I love the concept of the Chindi and the ancient civilisations that it implies. It's this kind of 'lost civilisation' mystery that Jack is an expert at, and I think its part of what keeps me coming back for more.

Omega 7/10 Again, this book kept me hooked throughout, but I remember thinking at the end that it didn't feel the same without Hutch as the 'main' character (although given all she's been through I don't blame her for settling down and having a family!). The alien race was interesting, but would it really be that 'easy' to understand them? Finally, I thought the truth behind the Omega Clouds was a bit of a let down (although its not necessarily the 'complete truth' and left the mystery open nicely). But overall, its another entertaining book.

Seeker 9/10 Excellent story with a mystery that keeps pulling you along. I found myself hating the unseen villain, and feeling a strange empathy for Chase (few books manage to really make me concerned for the characters). The identity of the villain was a pleasant surprise, and the fate of the missing colony kept me turning the pages! I'll definitely be recommending this to anybody who'll listen (and most of those who won't!).
Last edited by MarkH on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Thank you MarkH, and good luck on your recruiting efforts!
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

How about this:

Buy all of Jack McDevitt's books or I'll kick your ass!!

I'm kidding.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Hassan
Bookworm

Post by Hassan »

Here is how I rate the books on a 1-10 scale:

The Hercules Text: 7.5
A Talent For War: 10
Engines of God: 9
Ancient Shores: 7.5
Eternity Road: 7
Moonfall : 8.5
Infinity Beach: 10
Deepsix: 9.5
Chindi: 9.5
Omega: 9.5
Polaris: 9
Seeker: 9.5

"Hello Out There" is an omnibus book that contains "The Hercules Text" & "A Talent For War", so it doesn't need a separate rating. My rating for "The Hercules Text" is based on the revised version included in "Hello Out There" as I haven't read the original version.

I seem to enjoy the stories that are set in the far future and in outer space (the Academy novels, Alex Benedict novels, etc) more than the near future or Earthbound books. So I rather Jack write more Hutch or Alex/Chase novels than sequels to "Ancient Shores" or "Eternity Road" (which are frequently requested here), though I will gladly read any book he writes. If he wants to write any sequels then I nominate the great "Infinity Beach" for that.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Thank you Hassan :thumb: . I hope you'll take the time to enter your ratings and reviews in one (or both) of our book databases.
lausus
Bookworm

Re: Please take a moment to rate and review Jack McDevitt's books!

Post by lausus »

Hi,

I am a big SF fan and Jack McDevitt is one of my buy everything authors (alongside Peter Hamilton, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds, JC Grimwood, Richard Morgan, John Ringo and David Weber)
I own all of his books of course and with the exception of Moonfall (I simply cannot believe a politician as a hero, also disater novels are not my fare), none of them disapointed me.

Here is how I rate the books on a 1-10 scale:

The Hercules Text: 7 - I remember it dimly and since I read it after ATfW in the early 90's I did not check the updated edition

A Talent For War: 10 - the book that started my appreciation of Mr. McDevitt in the early 90's, I still reread it ocasionally

Engines of God: 10 - the other "almost" perfect book he wrote

Ancient Shores: 8 - I enjoyed it to my surprise since alien visitations are not my fare either

Eternity Road: 9 - Could have been "almost" perfect except for the ending

Moonfall :- the only one that I could not find the pleasure to read

Infinity Beach: 7 - It seemed the weakest of his books that I read being a bit too "slapstick" and " cliched for me

Deepsix: 9 - Excellent despite my dislike for disater stories;

Chindi: 9.5 - Excellent again, a great first contact/Academy/Hutch story

Omega: 8.5 - A bit of a letdown for an excellent series, especially the "to save" aliens

Polaris: 8.5 - Loved the return of Alex and Chase. Would have enjoyed much more but for the similarities with Charles Sheffield "The Ganymede Club" which allowed me to guess kind of everything much too early

Seeker: 9.5 - Excellent; loved the Ashyyur trip
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

Thanks, lausus. And Welcome!
Atlantis1
Bookworm

Post by Atlantis1 »

The Hercules Text: I have it but have not had the time to read it yet.
A Talent For War: 9.5
Engines of God: I'm reading this one right now. At this point:9
Ancient Shores: 7
Eternity Road: 9.5
Moonfall : 8.5. This is a great rating for me when you consider I have read tons of disaster books.
Infinity Beach: 9.5
Deepsix: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Chindi: Same as Deepsix.
Omega: Same as Deepsix.
Polaris: 10
Seeker: I am also reading this one at the time. I can already rate it:10

Standard Candles: I own this but haven't gotten to it yet.
ca1ore
Bookworm

Post by ca1ore »

My relative scale, starting with Chindi and Seeker as 10s:

A Talent For War: 9
Engines of God: 8
Ancient Shores: 7
Eternity Road: 9
Moonfall : 5
Infinity Beach: 8
Deepsix: 8
Chindi: 10
Omega: 9
Polaris: 8
Seeker: 10

Have not read the short-story compilations (Standard Candles, Ships in the Night, Outbound) - they seem quite hard to track down.

Chindi and Seeker are among my very favorite SciFi books - along with Pohl's HeeChee novels and Hogan's giants novels.

Simon
MarkH
Bookworm

Cauldron

Post by MarkH »

Cauldron - 9/10

I read this over two days, which is probably the fastest time I've taken to read a book. Excellent story, nicely ties up many loose ends from previous Hutch/Academy books and the conclusions reached are mostly satisfying (the Omega origin is particularly awe-inspiring). If this is really the final Hutch book, it's a great place to leave the series, with both questions answered and a few left hanging nicely. Great piece of work.

SPOILER Comments about the ending:
Spoiler: show
I would like to say that the book left me with a slightly unsettling aftertaste, hence the 9/10 instead of a 10/10. Chiefly, I thought that the fate of the 'cloud creature' that had produced the Omega's was surprisingly cruel and almost out of character - I was left hoping that Hutch and co would return to help it out, rather than leave it trapped and alone. But having said that, maybe I'm just a big softy at heart!

Still, I guess I can imagine that another mission went back at a later date and helped it to a happy and peaceful freedom with the others of its kind.
Jack McDevitt
SF Writer

Post by Jack McDevitt »

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my novels. I'm running six years behind on my response. If I had an appropriate icon, one with a seriously dumb smile, I'd use it.

Anyhow, I hope you're still enjoying everything.

Jack
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Jack McDevitt wrote:... If I had an appropriate icon, one with a seriously dumb smile, I'd use it.
Here's one ... .................... Image

:lol:
Jack McDevitt
SF Writer

Post by Jack McDevitt »

Dear Sir E.

Guilty as charged.
Jack McDevitt
SF Writer

Post by Jack McDevitt »

Mark,

Even though each of the persons in the team that arrives at the end is a public figure, I asked each of them if there was any objection before writing the sequence. Then everyone received a copy of the book. So yes, Professor Hawking certainly knew. And I agree that there's a deus ex machina aspect to the climax. But we all know why rules are made. Sometimes the plot demands a little breakage.

Jack
Dave00pi
Bookworm

Post by Dave00pi »

I am not a critic, but I am an Avid Sci-fi reader and absorb about one novel a week.
Jack McDevitt is one of my favorite authors and I have read all of his books in the Patrica Hutchinson series. Truly this man's writing is on par with legends like Author C. Clark, Orson Scott Card and Larry Niven. If you read Sci-fi then by all means, start reading Jack's books and you will be hooked. Just my two cents as a writer and fan.
Jack McDevitt
SF Writer

Post by Jack McDevitt »

Dave, I'm never sure how to reply to a comment like yours other than to say that I seriously like the company you put me in. It reminds me of a photoshop my wife did a few years ago, bringing home a picture of me apparently deep in conversation with Winston Churchill and Albert Einstein. It's hung in the living room since, provoking comments like, 'Okay, that's Jack in the middle, but who are those other two guys?'

Return to “Jack McDevitt”