[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Internet Book Database of Fiction • View topic - GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 am

Pronunciation: /ˌinfōˈmānēə/

noun
informal
the compulsive desire to check or accumulate news and information, typically via cell phone or computer: Wilson warned that the rise in infomania could reduce workers' mental sharpness

Derivatives

infomaniac
noun

===========================================================

Alex informed us of his need to know, in spite of being retired. However, he disavowed infomania. Yesterday, he didn't turn on any computer until after 6:45 Of course, he had read three national newspapers and a local one by then.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but you are welcome to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Pronunciation: /ˈləstē/

adjective (lustier, lustiest)
healthy and strong; full of vigor: the other farms had lusty young sons to work the land lusty singing

Derivatives
lustiness
noun

Origin:
Middle English: from lust (in the early sense 'vigor') + -y1

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are those who would describe the American football player, Clay Matthews, as a lusty guy. Some describing him so are lustful in their leering looks. Others would prefer to think worse of him, wishing he would get a haircut.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:29 am

Pronunciation: /prəˈpound/

verb
[with object]
put forward (an idea, theory, or point of view) for consideration by others: he began to propound the idea of a “social monarchy” as an alternative to Franco

Derivatives
propounder
noun

Origin:
mid 16th century: alteration of archaic propone, from Latin proponere 'set forth', from pro- 'forward' + ponere 'put'. The addition of the final -d can be compared with that in expound and compound

ImageImage
and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Nikita Khrushchev is sometimes remembered for pounding his shoe when another person at the United Nations was attempting to propound an idea to which Khrushchev objected. Professional pugilists take a more direct approach and simply pound their opponents.

[R.I.P Nikita and Hector.]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby ChoChiyo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:18 am

One day a nameless individual irritated me with such excessive intensity that I hired Jesse Venture to give him a good PRO POUNDING. (My ex governor can beat up YOUR ex governor.) :smash: :cry: :lol:
I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Pronunciation: /ˈkatˌgət/

noun
a material used for the strings of some musical instruments, made of the dried twisted intestines of sheep or horses (but not cats).

Origin:
late 16th century: the association with cat1 remains unexplained

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EEEEE-Yowwww! That's the sound when I stroke the bow across the catgut strings of my father's violin. My mother said my music is no worse than listening to the cat scream when I yank on her tail.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am

Pronunciation: /diˈsenSHənt/

adjective
in opposition to a majority or official opinion: dissentient voices were castigated as “hopeless bureaucrats.”

noun
a person who opposes a majority or official opinion.

Origin:
early 17th century: from Latin dissentient- 'differing in opinion', from the verb dissentire

Today's photo not brought to you by anybody. So there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GNU/Linux computer users are certainly dissentient. Bucking the majority is one thing, but also refusing to drink the other dissentient Kool-Aid makes us really loony.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Syllabification: (shriev·al)
Pronunciation: /ˈSHrēvəl/

adjective
chiefly historical
of or relating to a sheriff.

Origin:
late 17th century: from shrieve, obsolete variant of sheriff

Middlesex County Sheriff's Office

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The recent shrieval election put Peter Koutoujian into office.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 am

The mayor's last shrieval edicts stroked people's nerves like off key strung catgut. The most dissentient protesters tarred and feathered his effigy in front of city hall.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 pm

E.P.S. You are making the most of your visits. It won't be necessary to send the sheriff to verify your status.

Oh, and a little bulb to brighten your day, too.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Syllabification: (che·root)
Pronunciation: /SHəˈro͞ot/

noun
a cigar with both ends open and untapered.

Origin:
late 17th century: from French cheroute, from Tamil curuṭṭu 'roll of tobacco'

()========================================================*( )*

Charlie raged about the flavor of his cheroots. Cheap they might be, but he loved a good stogie (which is what he called them). Though he lived in Conestoga Valley, PA, he had never even ridden in one of those pioneer wagons.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Syllabification: (di·a·ble·rie)
Pronunciation: /dēˈäblərē/

noun
reckless mischief; charismatic wildness: the beauty and diablerie of the great actor
archaic sorcery supposedly assisted by the devil.

Origin:
mid 18th century: from French, from diable, from ecclesiastical Latin diabolus 'devil'

---===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===---

Frank forged ahead, heedless of the consequences. His posse admired his diablerie and emulated his routine, though with far less success.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 am

Syllabification: (yu·ka·ta)
Pronunciation: /yo͝oˈkätə/

noun (plural same or yukatas)
a light cotton kimono.

Origin:
Japanese, from yu 'hot water' (because originally worn indoors after a bath) + kata(bira) 'light kimono'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen's yukata replaced the old terrycloth bathrobe she'd used for years.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:28 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 am

Syllabification: (G-suit)
(also anti-G suit)

noun
a garment with pressurized pouches that are inflatable with air or fluid, worn by fighter pilots and astronauts to enable them to withstand high forces of acceleration.

Origin:
1940s: from g (symbol of gravity) + suit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gee, whiz. Look at that G-man wearing his G-suit. It holds his gut in pretty well, doesn't it?
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 am

Well... (in part):

"You may not systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the material for any purpose;" (Oxford Dictionaries Online)

noun
The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists

-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;-;-=;-;-;

The word of the day exists for use. All words exist for use. Restricting the use of those words is counterproductive to their purpose.

[I guess that I need to be less systematic in my use of words. Otherwise, maybe we'll just make up our own. As it happens, I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell. Suddenly, I feel like Winston Smith, gripping my composition book, filling it with words that are no longer allowed for any party member to use. Maybe I should just pick a random set of letters and make up some meaning.]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby voralfred » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

In understand that, while on dry ground, one usually does not go on a trip without a specific purpose, under the sea, you normally need a porpoise to go on a journey.

garbolic garbolic
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby ChoChiyo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 am

A porpoise with purpose doesn't piddle away the day. The purposeful porpoise puts his snout to the grindstone and his dorsal fin to the wheel and gets on with it.
I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:11 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Syllables: (ac·ro·lect)
Pronounce: ˈakrəˌlekt/

The dialect which most follows or exemplifies the "pure" language.
(Drawn from the study of creole, but now applied more generally.)

Wikipedia: "William Stewart, in 1965, proposed that the terms acrolect and basilect be the sociolinguistic labels for the upper and lower boundaries respectively of a post-creole speech continuum."

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

Don donned his vestiments and prepared to read new testaments. He'd practiced over and over to ensure his Latin acrolect would show appropriate historical respect.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to The Appendix