[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Internet Book Database of Fiction • View topic - GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 am

Pronunciation: /ˈtsītˌgīst, ˈzīt-/

noun
[in singular]
the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time: the story captured the zeitgeist of the late 1960s

Origin:
mid 19th century: from German Zeitgeist, from Zeit 'time' + Geist 'spirit'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The spirit of our own times, based on popular reading habits, is apparently trying to divide itself between enthusiasm for Wizards, Zombies and Vampires. Actual ghosts are passé (ahem) Time will tell if the zeitgeist is recognized from our reading fascinations.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but you are welcome to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:58 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Pronunciation: /ˈklāmənt, ˈklam-/

adjective
forcing itself urgently on the attention: the proper use of biotechnology has become a clamant question

Derivatives
clamantly
adverb

Origin:
mid 17th century: from Latin clamant- 'crying out', from the verb clamare

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Today's email evaluation was no clamant event. It didn't happen until late afternoon, very unusual. Nonetheless, the word of the day is now here.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:27 am

Pronunciation: /ˌapəˌsīəˈpēsis/

noun (plural aposiopeses /-sēz/)
Rhetoric
the device of suddenly breaking off in speech.

Derivatives
aposiopetic
Pronunciation: /-ˈpetik/ adjective

Origin:
late 16th century: via Latin from Greek aposiōpēsis, from aposiōpan 'be silent'

+++++++++++++++++++--------------------------------------....................................................

Anticipating the New England arrival of Sandy, I am warning you that the WotD may need to be of your own choice. IF the electricity goes out here, there will be an aposiopesis associated with the lack of a network connection. It just won't matter that the laptop battery works. The modem/router won't.

End of weather alert.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:58 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 am

Pronunciation: /ˈskēvē/

adjective
informal
unpleasant, squalid, or distasteful: a skeevy Vegas motel

Origin:
1970s: from Italian schifo 'repugnance, disgust'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam had a decidedly skeevy craving for money.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby voralfred » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am

Pronunciation: /əˈkwitns/

noun
Law, dated
a written receipt attesting the settlement of a fine or debt.

Origin:
Middle English: from Old French, from aquiter 'discharge (a debt)' (see acquit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINE ANT'S FINANCE
Like all Formicidae, Jacques could easily bear much more than his own weight, so carrying the debt was just fine until nearly the end. It swelled in a balloon moment just before the bank clerk wrote the acquittance and Jacques handed over the last payment with its final, swelled interest charge.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Pronunciation: /ˈiNGgəlˌno͝ok/

noun
a space on either side of a large fireplace.

Origin:
late 18th century: from Scots ingle + nook

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be both warm and close to the cooking, Charlotte sat in a chair in the inglenook to the right of the fireplace with her sewing.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

Pronunciation: /ˈasəˌnīn/

adjective
extremely stupid or foolish: Lydia ignored his asinine remark

Derivatives
asininity
Pronunciation: /ˌasəˈninitē/ noun

Origin:
late 15th century: from Latin asininus, from asinus 'ass'

=-=====-----=====+=-=====-----=====+=-=====-----=====+=-=====-----=====-=

The only thing more stupid than an asinine remark is an remark.

[I revert to form from time to time.]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby voralfred » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 am

Pronunciation: /pəˈnaSH, -ˈnäSH/

noun
1flamboyant confidence of style or manner: he entertained Palm Springs society with great panache
2 historical a tuft or plume of feathers, especially as a headdress or on a helmet.

Origin:
mid 16th century: from French, from Italian pennacchio, from late Latin pinnaculum, diminutive of pinna 'feather'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Feather tended the cooking fire with panache, keeping the fire ashes from becoming pan ash and ruining the eggs and hash she was cooking for her father. He would not appreciate ash ashes in his hash.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 am

Pronunciation: /ˈn(y)o͞omə/

noun
Philosophy
(in Stoic thought) the vital spirit, soul, or creative force of a person.

Origin:
Greek, literally 'that which is breathed or blown'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------⚟

No matter, the pneuma of Newman never made Jerry Seinfeld like him.
Many mathematicians based their academic souls on the "New Math", but it has faded in popularity.
Adopted children get a new Ma out of the deal.
Well, I guess I've blown enough smoke for today.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby ChoChiyo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

I am allergic to bullshit. During this period of non-stop political ads, my allergy causes me to sneeze with considerably frequency and force. After unwillingly viewing fifteen consequetive minutes of nauseating political ads, my sneezing fit acquired the rapidity of a machine gun coupled with the force of a category 5.9 hurricane. It was such an extreme situation that I felt my pneuma expelled into the atmosphere at the precise moment that the contents of my bladder were expelled into my underpants!
I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 am

\eh-SPRESS-oh\

noun
1: strong coffee brewed by forcing steam through finely ground darkly roasted coffee beans
2: a cup of espresso

EXAMPLES

Joan couldn't begin her day without at least one cup of espresso to wake her up.

((Note that my email did NOT include today's WotD. Don't know why. Chose this one instead.))
Read more at http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of- ... WbOhihy.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me express my distress that the espresso isn't express. Oh, why must I wait for the caffeine jolt?
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby ChoChiyo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 pm

I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 am

Definitions
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

n. Idle, silly talk; babblement.
n. A tumultuous crowd or assemblage; a disorderly rout; a rabble.
n. Refuse; dregs.

This word comes from the Middle English ‘rablen,’ speak in a rapid, confused manner, probably imitative of hurry and confusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rousing the rabble was the job of John and Sam Adams during the middle years of the 18th century in the American colonies. Their method wasn't rabblement, however, it was a call to arms and a dumping of taxed tea into Boston Harbor.

[.]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:18 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Recently the regional rabblement roused to read Rabelais while resisting relaxing to Ravel.

Arrrrh!
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to The Appendix