GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Post by Algot Runeman »

Phew! Not even a hide/show option.
Perspiration forming on forehead.
Fingers trembling as I type.

:twisted:
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but I encourage YOU to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

MACHO

Pronunciation: /ˈmäCHō, ˈmaCHō/

noun
Astronomy
a compact object, such as a brown dwarf, a low-mass star, or a black hole, of a kind that is thought by some to constitute part of the dark matter in galactic halos.

Origin:
1990s: acronym from Massive (Astrophysical) Compact Halo Object

Alain r

-----------------------------------(*)--------------------------------------

Some male astronomers are macho, but black holes are MACHO and, because they are difficult to see, appear to be mailing it in. Note that the image above is not a photo, but an artist's simulated visualization.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

The presence of a huge number of MACHOs is one possible candidate for the so-called dark matter.
One other prominent candidate is the existence of Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, or WIMPs.

I am perfectly serious! You can check the Wikipedia pages. Whether the people who chose these names were serious in another matter....

I have known about WIMPs and MACHOs for some time. I just discovered a third candidate: robust associations of massive baryonic objects or RAMBO's.

Any candidate for dark matter with, for acronym, ROTFLOL?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Algot Runeman wrote:MACHO... Some male astronomers are macho, but black holes are MACHO and, because they are difficult to see, appear to be mailing it in.
If you can bend light around yourself, how much more macho could you get?

Unless of course you could catch up with the light reflected by planet Earth 4.5 billion years ago.

Hey! Some of that light has been collected in black holes, hasn't it? Or those photons are perpetually orbiting around it, inside its event horizon?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
Hey! Some of that light has been collected in black holes, hasn't it? Or those photons are perpetually orbiting around it, inside its event horizon?
Depends on your point of view.

From the point of view of the light, it has indeed been collected, or more precisely, it has hit the central singularity (and whatever happens then)

But from the point of an external observer, like us, it is forever falling towards the event horizon, which it will never reach. Not orbiting, falling straight towards it, but from our point of view the "distance" to the event horizon is infinite. The perimeter of a great circle around it is finite, of course, and if you divide this perimeter by 2 pi, you get what is usually called the "radius" of the event horizon. But the geometry, there, is not euclidian, and thus the distance between circles of perimeter having almost the same value (and keeping a nonzero value, always a bit larger than 2 pi times the "radius of the event horizon", namely the perimeter of the great circle "at" the horizon) becomes larger and larger and adds up to infinity. And therefore you can never see an object "make the plunge" if you are not falling with it : you always see it moving faster and faster away, but never reaching the event horizon (which is why it is called an "horizon", by the way)

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

ramshackle

Pronunciation: /ˈramˌSHakəl/

adjective
(especially of a house or vehicle) in a state of severe disrepair: a ramshackle cottage

Origin:
early 19th century (originally dialect in the sense 'irregular, disorderly'): alteration of earlier ramshackled, altered form of obsolete ransackled 'ransacked'

Jacob Earl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shed started out looking better than the photo. It became a ramshackle mess after the farmer decided to tie a ram to the shed's corner with a shackle. The ram wanted room to roam so battered the shed to shed the shackle. The ram must have succeeded in its escape since it isn't in the picture. It must have torn completely free, and is now shut of the shed, because I can't make out the ram's shackle anywhere. If things continue in this vein, the farmer who was a member of Future Farmers of America will go broke like the shed is broke and he will be a Former Farmer of America.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:ramshackle
Couldn't the farmer have turned that ramshackle shed in for a sturdier hut or a newer model?

Even a secondhand but firmer shack would last long enough to please those Nosy Farmers of America!
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

vitellus

Pronunciation: /vəˈteləs, vī-/

noun
Embryology
the yolk of an egg or ovum.

Origin:
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'yolk'

Christy Cullen

=---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Tom asked the old Roman waitress, "Two vitellus and ovalbumin over easy and a cup of coffee, please."
Sadly, it was she who was old, her Latin wasn't up to the humor in his yolk, she being linguistically yoked to the current Italian. Tom didn't even try to ask for the grits.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

interlard

Pronunciation: /ˌintərˈlärd/

verb
[with object] (interlard something with)
intersperse or embellish speech or writing with different material: a compendium of advertisements and reviews, interlarded with gossip

Origin:
late Middle English (in the sense 'mix with alternate layers of fat'): from French entrelarder, from entre- 'between' + larder 'to lard'

Rosie Tulips

===================================================================
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
===================================================================

I have decided to :D :) interlard :( some silly :o smilies as a MOST :twisted: irreverent sentence-like submission.
Oh,did you hear about Luke and Sally?
Smiles are :? very little like similies, :cry: I've noticed.
:crazy:

[I regret that today's WotD sounds so negative as I gaze wistfully at the lovely cake in today's illustration. I would happily add a pound or two with a slice of that yummy sounding dessert, perhaps with a scoop of Mocha Almond ice cream.]
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:interlard
verb
from French entrelarder, from entre- 'between' + larder 'to lard'
Okay. I get it.
The verb interlard basically means putting lard in between.

The verb intersperse basically means putting ... erm, sperse in between?. What is sperse?
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

gaucherie

Pronunciation: /ˌgōSHəˈrē/

noun
awkward, embarrassing, or unsophisticated ways: she had long since gotten over gaucheries such as blushing

Origin:
late 18th century: French, from gauche (see gauche)

Quinn Norton

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My life is a carefully orchestrated series of gaucheries. Sophistication is for the rest of you. I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as I do.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

grabble

Pronunciation: /ˈgrabəl/

verb
[no object] archaic
feel or search with the hands; grope about.
sprawl or tumble on all fours.

Origin:
late 16th century: probably from Dutch grabbelen 'scramble for a thing', from Middle Dutch grabben (see grab)

Ulf Bodin

\\\\////-------------------////\\\\----////\\\\-------------------------\\\\////

I'm wondering if I have generally said scrabble around instead of grabble. The Google lookup "define: scrabble" gives essentially the same definition. I'm quite sure I've said scrabble outside the context of the game Scrabble™ and there is a farm I've heard about called Hardscrabble Farm.

[The image intended to suggest hands digging into the dirt...grabble, scrabble.]
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Am I considered as demonstrating gaucherie since I mostly grabble with my left hand?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:Am I considered as demonstrating gaucherie since I mostly grabble with my left hand?
Yes.
You indulge in gaucheries, you grabble, you're left-handed, you're a boffin, you use a Mac, so ... what else is wrong with you?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
voralfred wrote:Am I considered as demonstrating gaucherie since I mostly grabble with my left hand?
Yes.
You indulge in gaucheries, you grabble, you're left-handed, you're a boffin, you use a Mac, so ... what else is wrong with you?
I am fluent in Basque, Estonian, Poldevian and Old Frankish? Or, even worse, I once was a student of the man to become Barrayar's most infamous state criminal?

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

zoomorphic

Pronunciation: /ˌzōəˈmôrfik/

adjective
having or representing animal forms or gods of animal form: pottery decorated with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic designs

Derivatives
zoomorphism
Pronunciation: /-ˈmôrˌfizəm/ noun

Origin:
late 19th century: from zoo- 'of animals' + Greek morphē 'form' + -ic

autan

===================================-==================================

My father gave me one of these zoomorphic pieces of wood. He was from Sweden. Is there a connection to the Norse gods via Sleipnir?
Last edited by Algot Runeman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

bricolage

Pronunciation: /ˌbrēkōˈläZH, ˌbrikə-/

noun (plural or bricolages)
(in art or literature) construction or creation from a diverse range of available things: the chaotic bricolage of the novel is brought together in a unifying gesture
something constructed or created from a diverse range of available things: bricolages of painted junk

Origin:
mid 20th century: French, from bricoler 'do odd jobs, repair'

Kevin Hutchins

The cooperative collage created at the college was captivating constructivism, certainly a result of the broad ethnic mix of students, a veritable bricolage of people.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

scaramouch

Pronunciation: /ˈskarəˌmo͞oSH, -ˌmo͞oCH/

noun
archaic
a boastful but cowardly person.

Origin:
mid 17th century: from Italian Scaramuccia, the name of a stock character in Italian farce, from scaramuccia 'skirmish', ultimately from the same Germanic base as skirmish

Breno Mendes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mike stood his ground. His perennial tormentor was on the other side of the lawn, but striding purposefully ahead, calling out, "Baby Huey, here I come." Ultimately, he knew he'd take his knocks once again, but Grampa told him it was time to stand up to the bullies. He intended to keep kicking and punching until the bully gave up (scaramouch was what Grampa said bullies were, and Mike had read Raphael Sabatini). As it turned out, the fight was short. The surprised bully immediately didn't enjoy his bloody nose. The three kicks to the same shin sealed the deal for the day.

[Recommended background music: Jake Shimabukuro's cover of the Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody".]
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

minion

Pronunciation: /ˈminyən/

Definition of minion
noun
a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one.

Origin:
late 15th century: from French mignon, mignonne

Douglas Brown

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stephen stood as still as he could. The corner, mostly behind a marble statue of some ancient god was a safe spot. At least he hoped so. He was here by command, but it was best to stay as inconspicuous as possible. He knew his status. Minion described him to a fare-thee-well. The ceremony didn't require more than his presence. The happy couple would be married. Nobody needed to be reminded today that he was from the home town of the princess.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:minion
Voralfred started the LMB Quote Game. In 2009 he invited me cordially to join in. Ever since then I've been one of his game stooges.

Then again, I've never shown him any prostrate reverence, humble respect or hallowing adulation, even though I'm sure he adores to bask in it. Maybe his other minions might ... :worship: ?
Spoiler: show
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

crinkum-crankum

Pronunciation: /ˌkriNGkəm ˈkraNGkəm/

noun
archaic
elaborate decoration or detail.

Origin:
mid 17th century: fanciful reduplication of the nouns crank1 and crank2

Jacqueline Ross

☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩-----☦☧☨☩

The wood carvers who lovingly worked to decorate the church's pew ends might be displeased to hear their beautiful, detailed work described as crinkum-crankum. Then again, perhaps they were the ones who coined the term.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:crinkum-crankum
The wood carvers who lovingly worked to decorate the church's pew ends might be displeased to hear their beautiful, detailed work described as crinkum-crankum. Then again, perhaps they were the ones who coined the term.
The term crinkum-crankum itself seems baroque ...
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

E.P.S.,

Are you suggesting the Barnstable Bar went broke by building all baroque?
The crinkum-crankum did in the drink-em, drank-em?
The estaminet suffered and was shuttered from a surfeit of style?

Sad.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

spiffy

Pronunciation: /ˈspifē/

adjective (spiffier, spiffiest)
informal
smart in appearance: a spiffy new outfit

Derivatives
spiffily
Pronunciation: /ˈspifəlē/ adverb

Origin:
mid 19th century: of unknown origin

nathanmac87

-----------------------------------------999-------------------------------------------

Cal strode with confidence into the ballroom. Even without an announcement of his arrival, he knew he would be noticed. Dressed to the nines, he knew he was too spiffy to be ignored. Much to his chagrin, E.P.S.'s grandmother stepped lightly through the door right after him, and he was totally overshadowed, completely overlooked.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:spiffy
Cal strode with confidence into the ballroom. Even without an announcement of his arrival, he knew he would be noticed. Dressed to the nines, he knew he was too spiffy to be ignored. Much to his chagrin, E.P.S.'s grandmother stepped lightly through the door right after him, and he was totally overshadowed, completely overlooked.
Except by my grandma, whose eye he caught.

She approached him and said, "Oh my! Aren't you a well turned out young lad. So spiffy. I must say, your grandmama has had you impeccably groomed."
Whereupon she approvingly pinched his rosy cheek and continued, "Now be a dear, and beckon over one of those waiters. I would like a small glass of bubbly, please."

The young man, by now blushing furiously, bowed to her, replied, "Certainly, Ma'am." and sped away in chase of a waiter, this time surreptitiously ogled and assessed by several young ladies. And one other young man.

Return to “The Appendix”