GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Darb
Punoholic

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Post by Darb »

MK: A well deserved approbation.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Tuesday, February 09, 2010

vitiate
\VISH-ee-ayt\ , transitive verb; 1. To make faulty or imperfect; to render defective; to impair; as, "exaggeration vitiates a style of writing." 2. To corrupt morally; to debase. 3. To render ineffective; as, "fraud vitiates a contract."

MacNelly is one of the few contemporary political cartoonists who can use humor to accentuate, not vitiate, his points.
-- Richard E. Marschall, "The Century In Political Cartoons", Columbia Journalism Review, May/June 1999

It seems churlish to say of a book that is beautifully written, richly allusive, learned, elegant, Proustian in tone and mode, that precisely these qualities vitiate its ostensible purpose, distracting attention from the subject and focusing it upon the very gifted author.
-- Gertrude Himmelfarb, "A Man's Own Household His Enemies", Commentary, July 1999

Whatever a "real contradiction" might be, "apparent contradictions" are quite sufficient to vitiate a doctrine of biblical authority that is based on the supposedly apparent reading of the text.
-- Robert M. Price, "The Psychology of Biblicism", Humanist, May 2001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitiate comes from Latin vitiare, from vitium, fault. It is related to vice (a moral failing or fault), which comes from vitium via French.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

My grandma stubbornly refused to lend any of her fur coats to other women to wear. She claimed it would vitiate the lustre of her furs.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

During my long years of wretched excess, I've found that a surfeit of akvavit tends to vitiate one's vitality ... which is linguistically ironic, given that akvavit is derived from aqua vitae (Latin for the "water of life") which is supposed to magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitae.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

Do I have a vitae?
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

If yuz eat ya spinach an take ya vitamins, yu'll be vitam like Popeye tha Sailorman ... sku duh dya duh !
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Darb wrote:... akvavit is derived from aqua vitae (Latin for the "water of life") which is supposed to magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitae.
Watch your grammar. :smash:
Vitae is the plural of vita (singular) in "magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitae" (lives, plural). Where I assume you meant to say vita.
Vitae is also the singular genitive case of vita in "aqua vitae" (life's water).
(vitarum is the plural genitive case)
Vitae also occurs in some other declensions (whose names I forgot). :(
MidasKnight wrote:Do I have a vitae?
If you're a cat, then you have nine. :banana:
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
Darb wrote:... akvavit is derived from aqua vitae (Latin for the "water of life") which is supposed to magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitae.
Watch your grammar. :smash:
Vitae is the plural of vita (singular) in "magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitae" (lives, plural). Where I assume you meant to say vita.
Vitae is also the singular genitive case of vita in "aqua vitae" (life's water).
(vitarum is the plural genitive case)
Vitae also occurs in some other declensions (whose names I forgot). :(
MidasKnight wrote:Do I have a vitae?
If you're a cat, then you have nine. :banana:
Well, if you want to be precise, one should say
"magically enhance (vitalize) one's vitam"
And:
a cat wrote:Do I have nine vitas?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

. . :smash: <--- EPS
:cry: Someone call 911 ... EPS stole Laurie's whammer !
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Wednesday, February 10, 2010

tarradiddle
\tair-uh-DID-uhl\ , noun; also taradiddle 1. A petty falsehood; a fib. 2. Pretentious nonsense.

Oh please! Even in the parallel universe, tarradiddles of this magnitude cannot go unchallenged.
-- "Taxation in the parallel universe", Sunday Business, June 11, 2000

Mr B did not tell a whopper. This was no fib, plumper, porker or tarradiddle. There was definitely no deceit, mendacity or fabrication.
-- "Looking back", Western Mail, May 11, 2002

Other amendments, such as a chef at the birthday party, a dancing bear in the hunting scene, and a brief solo for the usually pedestrian Catalabutte, seemed more capricious, and the synopsis suggested further changes had been planned but perhaps found impractical. Some tarradiddle with roses for death and rebirth also necessitated different flowers for the traditional Rose Adagio.
-- John Percival, "The other St Petersburg company", Independent, November 22, 2001

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tarradiddle is of unknown origin.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Roving Punster
(8-P

Post by Roving Punster »

/me sips absinthe while listening to Bo Diddly

When I was a young demon, I used to terrorize the hoi polloi with linguistic tarradiddles, but the pay was diddly, so I dabbled in dabo, got rich, and retired to a life of ease. Now I'm free to dabble in tarradiddles without having to give diddlysquat about earning diddly at something other than dabo.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Help!
The tarridle Roving Punster is back! Nobody is safe anymore! Impossible to eschew the punishment that will fall on us! Whose vita will be spared?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

microdiddle
millididdle
diddle (the basic unit)
hectodiddle
kilodiddle
megadiddle
gigadiddle
teradiddle
A diddle with its packaging included is a tarradiddle, hence also tarrakilodiddle, tarramegadiddle, etc.

All these units are used by crews of Candid Camera, worldwide. Except for their computer guy, he uses the hexadiddle (16 diddles).
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Roving Punster wrote:/me sips absinthe while listening to Bo Diddly

When I was a young demon, I used to terrorize the hoi polloi with linguistic tarradiddles, but the pay was diddly, so I dabbled in dabo, got rich, and retired to a life of ease. Now I'm free to dabble in tarradiddles without having to give diddlysquat about earning diddly at something other than dabo.
This barbaric act of terrorism tarradiddlism shall not go un-pun-ished !
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Word of the Day Friday, February 12, 2010

Quietus\kwy-EE-tuhs\ , noun;

1.Final discharge or acquittance, as from debt or obligation.2.Removal from activity; rest; death.3.Something that serves to suppress or quiet.

Quotes:

I have put a quietus upon that ticking. Depend upon it, the ticking will trouble you no more.
-- Herman Melville, "The Apple-Tree Table",

Consider a small police-blotter report from an 1875 issue of The Grant County Herald in Silver City, N[ew] M[exico]: "We learn that on Friday, Jose Garcia, who lives at the Chino copper mines, caught his wife in flagrante delicto -- we leave the reader to guess the crime -- Jose, then and there, gave her the quietus with an axe."
-- Thomas Kunkel, "The Pen Is Mightier Than the Six-Shooter", New York Times, August 30, 1998

It was after eleven when Fanning put the quietus to his day, retreating to the "Hospitality Suite" where he'd been hanging his hat these past weeks.
-- David Long, The Daughters of Simon Lamoreaux

During his final illness, someone asked Schiller how he felt: "calmer and calmer" was the reply. It was a quietus he richly deserved.
-- Roger Kimball, "Schiller's 'Aesthetic Education", New Criterion, March 2001

Origin:

Quietus is from Medieval Latin quietus (est), "(it is) at rest" (said of an obligation that has been discharged), from Latin quietus, "at rest."
Word of the Day Thursday, February 11, 2010

Coquetry\KOH-ki-tree; koh-KE-tree\ , noun;

1.Dalliance; flirtation.

Quotes:

'You were probably very bored by it,' he said, catching at once, in mid-air, this ball of coquetry that she had thrown to him.
-- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Her pose, quite natural for a woman of the East, might perhaps in a Frenchwoman, have suggested a slightly affected coquetry.
-- Alexandre Dumas père, The Count of Monte Cristo

Madame coquetted with him in the most captivating and naive manner, with eyes, gestures, and a profusion of compliments, till the Colonel's old head felt thirty years younger on his padded shoulders. Edna marveled, not comprehending. She herself was almost devoid of coquetry.
-- Kate Chopin, The Awakening

Origin:

Coquetry, French coquetterie, is from coquette, the feminine form of French coquet, "flirtatious man," diminutive of coq, "rooster, cock." The adjective form is coquettish. The verb coquet (also coquette) means "to flirt or trifle with."
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

After indulging in the usual foreplay of light-hearted linguistic tarradiddles and verbal coquetry, The Roving Punster finally administered the Quietus de Grace by hurling two vicious puns that shattered all tender sensibilities in a 50 yard radius, and left people groaning amidst the conversational wreckage.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Darb wrote:... and verbal coquetry ...
I thought that coquetry was a ploy of Tricky Dick (the 37th).
Darb wrote:... the Quietus de Grace ...
Hmm ... sounds like the Gracias after the Coitus.
umsolopagas
Scholar Adept

Post by umsolopagas »

:lol: :lol:
Blackadder: Is it cunning?
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

It is a tarradiddle that the Mona Lisa was originally sketched on a Magna Doodle. The truth is that Mauna Loa routinely makes magma doodles.

Laughter should instantly erupt.
Moans lower in volume, please.
Tears are optional.
Tearing of hair is difficult if you are bald.
Weigh in if you tare.
Neigh sayer is a mare.
Pare your pear if you are in a pair.
Stare or glare but beware.
Your dare is met, though I don't care.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but I encourage YOU to play, too.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Tuesday, February 16, 2010

inexorable
\in-EK-sur-uh-bul; in-EKS-ruh-bul\ , adjective; 1. Not to be persuaded or moved by entreaty or prayer; firm; determined; unyielding; unchangeable; inflexible; relentless.

But the idea of providence, whether the biblical version or the Enlightenment's or Marx's, is at bottom a tragic notion, for it implies that individual human choices count for nothing against the weight of an inexorable, overwhelming force, whether benign or cruel, whether known as God, History, Destiny, Progress or DNA.
-- James Carrol, "Laughing Our Way to Defeat", New York Times, February 16, 1986

. . .such notions as the 'logic of the facts', or the 'march of history', which, like the laws of nature (with which they are partly identified), are thought of as, in some sense, 'inexorable', likely to take their course whatever human beings may wish or pray for, an inevitable process to which individuals must adjust themselves.
-- Isaiah Berlin, The Sense of Reality

Confronted again with pictures of flag-draped coffins and mutilated bodies, with the sounds of random gunfire and angry chants, the world had to readjust to the fact that not every problem is solvable, that the global tide of peace is not inexorable, and that progress does not inevitably make civilizations more civilized.
-- "Fires Of Hate", Time, October 23, 2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inexorable comes from Latin inexorabilis, from in-, "not" + exorabilis, "able to be entreated, placable," from exorare, "to entreat successfully, to prevail upon," from ex-, intensive prefix + orare, "to speak; to argue; to pray."
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Darb wrote:After indulging in the usual foreplay of light-hearted linguistic tarradiddles and verbal coquetry, The Roving Punster finally administered the Quietus de Grace by hurling two vicious puns that shattered all tender sensibilities in a 50 yard radius, and left people groaning amidst the conversational wreckage.
SInce the return of the Roving Punster, the fate of the denizens of the IBDOF is sealed: there is no escape from the inexorable pun-ishment he will visit on them!
:help:

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Whenever her fur couturier told my grandma about a new exotic fur, she would keep pestering him relentlessly :whip: to acquire and show her a sample :hot: .
Quite soon after marrying her, my grandpa became very familiar with the word 'inexorable' and all its synonyms and symptoms.
Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Hiram is taking quite a while camping in the hills, isn't he/she?
It's been 5 months since he/she visited this thread. :cry:
Or else he/she must be threading lightly ...
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

After considerable thought, I've reached the inexorable conclusion that Hiram Walker must have gone on walkabout ... either to achieve some measure of quietus from the Roving Punster's diabolical tarradiddlism, or perhaps to search for ancient mystical weapons that might help vanquish our foe.

I believe those of us who've chosen to remain behind and combat this evil are either incredibly brave, or dumber than a bag of hammers ... I haven't figured out which as of yet, but when I do I'll be sure to let everyone know. ;)
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Darb wrote:... Hiram Walker must have gone on walkabout ...
I thought that a 'walkabout' is some sort of Aussie rite of passage. While Amerind braves had (still have?) a similar, but completely differently named ritual custom to find their true warrior names. But I've forgotten the name of this Amerindian ceremonial journey.

P.S. Maybe I've read too much Karl May?

Return to “The Appendix”