GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Thursday December 20, 2007

tocsin
\TOCK-sin\, noun: 1. An alarm bell, or the ringing of a bell for the purpose of alarm. 2. A warning.

Some of the allegations put round are so frenzied, however, that some caution should be exercised before the tocsin is rung too loudly.
-- "New President of the NUS", Times (London), April 10, 1969

The first atomic bomb fell and its radioactive cloud became a tocsin for mankind.
-- Herbert Mitgang, "The Bomb as Horror and Warning", New York Times, August 1, 1990

But Mr. Beckett is wise in choosing the form of the myth in which to sound his tocsin on the condition of human society.
-- Brooks Atkinson, "Beckett's 'Endgame'", New York Times, January 29, 1958

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tocsin derives from Medieval French touquesain, from Old Provençal tocasenh, from tocar, "to touch, to strike, to ring a bell" + senh, "church bell," ultimately from Latin signum, "sign, signal."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

John was a leper with no feeling in his extremities, so after being bitten by a poisonous snake, the first toxin-induced tocsin he experienced was blurred and spotty vision.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Friday December 21, 2007

finical
\FIN-ih-kuhl\, adjective: Extremely or unduly particular in standards or taste; fastidious; finicky.

The paintings incorporate the random and arbitrary . . . within a practice that nonetheless requires finical accuracy; there is a degree of almost mindless repetition and filling in involved, but the resulting forms are unpredictable and uncategorizable.
-- Barry Schwabsky, "Ingrid Calame: James Cohan Gallery", Artforum, February 1, 2004

That the director, who is known for his finical selection of stars, has zeroed in on Aamir says a great deal about his faith in the actor.
-- "Images: Movie Matters", News India, November 15, 1996

Finical yet never fussy, thorough but not obsessive, Westermann the woodworker is a joy to behold.
-- Mario Naves, "H. C. Westermann", New Criterion, May 1, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finical is probably derived from fine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

My profuse discursive discussion of the most abstruse details of the rules of the "First Line Game" (while showing my finical character, and probably having a soporific or even somniferous effect on some members of this forum) will, I hope to my delectation, toll the tocsin of the informal vicissitude that used to prevail there.
/me, kvetching:
However much I try, I somehow cannot fit pari passu into that sentence....
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

The kitchen staff at Finn McCool's was decidedly finical about the food they served to the finicky Flynns ... only the finest finnan haddie, and Finnian's Whisky, would do.
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

Fie! I needs ta find some o' dat Finnian's, I do!
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

However much I try, I somehow cannot fit pari passu into that sentence....
I always strive for quality over quantity ... although I occasionally manage to do both to some degree. ;)
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

OFF TOPIC

Not a word of the day creation, but I couldn't think where to post this. As I have often said, I am a reader, not a writer. But I came up with what I think is a great description as I was driving on errands, and I'd like to share it. Here seems to be as good a place as any. So forgive me for the intrusion.

"A smoke of starlings flew up from the mall lot and settled on a distant telephone wire."

Sue
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Monday January 7, 2008

scrabble
\SKRAB-uhl\, intransitive verb: 1. To scrape or scratch with the hands or feet. 2. To struggle by or as if by scraping or scratching. 3. To proceed by clawing with the hands and feet; to scramble. 4. To make irregular, crooked, or unmeaning marks; to scribble; to scrawl.
transitive verb: 1. To mark with irregular lines or letters; to scribble on or over. 2. To make or obtain by scraping together hastily.
noun: 1. The act or an instance of scrabbling. 2. A scribble.

Mice kept me awake by scrabbling in the uncovered garbage can.
-- Edith Anderson, Love in Exile

Rather frantically I scrabble for the recollection of what exactly it does give me.
-- Robert McLiam Wilson, Ripley Bogle

In the huddle they'd talk about running "post patterns," and they'd scrabble plays in the grass.
-- George Plimpton, quoted in The Last Patrician, by Michael Knox Beran

Heard by Maidment but not seen, the dog, called Rosie, yawned, then pushed herself on to her feet, slipping about on the polished boards with a scrabble of paws.
-- William Trevor, Death in Summer

Scrabble derives from Dutch schrabbelen, from Middle Dutch, frequentative of schrabben, "to scrape; to scratch."
S Adams
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

Can't remember if this has been mentioned here - those of you interested in improving your vocabulary while helping end hunger should check out the quiz at this site:
http://freerice.com/

(typically, I do very well if the vocabulary is of Greek or Latin origin, but have more trouble with French words or technical terms)
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

spiphany wrote:Can't remember if this has been mentioned here - those of you interested in improving your vocabulary while helping end hunger should check out the quiz at this site:

(typically, I do very well if the vocabulary is of Greek or Latin origin, but have more trouble with French words or technical terms)
I've been doing it almost every day for the past 3 months. It's terribly addictive - you just don't want to quit!
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

Wow...good site. Thanks for the link. Just spent about 15 minutes on that...a lot of the words I wouldn't have known if not for this thread!
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Tuesday January 8, 2008

mimetic
\mim-ET-ik\, adjective: 1. Apt to imitate; given to mimicry; imitative. 2. Characterized by mimicry; -- applied to animals and plants; as, "mimetic species; mimetic organisms."

It is as preposterous to believe that all entertainment is hypodermic, directly injecting bad ideas into the innocent bloodstream of the passive masses, as it is to pretend that all behavior is mimetic and that our only models are Eliot Ness or Dirty Harry.
-- John Leonard, Smoke and Mirrors

As a young man, Charles Dickens dreamed of becoming a great actor, and though he never realized that ambition, he put his mimetic genius to good use in his novels.
-- Michiko Kakutani, "Before There Were Movies, There Were Dickenses", New York Times, August 10, 1981

I was not the only scientist to reason that the vocal ability of mimetic birds, coupled with their considerable intelligence, should enable them to learn to communicate with humans using speechlike sounds.
-- Irene Maxine Pepperberg, The Alex Studies

Mimetic comes from Greek mimetikos, from mimesis, "imitation," from mimos, a kind of drama; also, "an imitator, a copyist, an actor." Related words include mimic and mime.
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Friday January 11, 2008

imprimatur
\im-prih-MAH-tur; -MAY-\, noun: 1. Official license or approval to print or publish a book, paper, etc.; especially, such a license issued by the Roman Catholic episcopal authority. 2. Approval; sanction. 3. A mark of approval or distinction.

Vatican officials have overruled a 1994 decision by a bishop in England, ordering him to withdraw his imprimatur from a popular religious education text that had come under attack from conservatives.
-- "Vatican orders bishop to remove imprimatur", National Catholic Reporter, February 27, 1998

His name was known and respected on both sides of the Atlantic; his imprimatur on a stock or bond offering could be worth millions to the firm doing the issue.
-- H. W. Brands, Masters of Enterprise

But neither controversial phenomena nor potentially illuminating but statistically insignificant research has had the imprimatur of a peer-reviewed journal -- until now.
-- Kaja Perina, "Probing folklore & fringe science", Psychology Today, July-August 2002

Imprimatur is from New Latin imprimatur, "let it be printed," from imprimere, "to imprint," from Latin, from in- + premere, "to press."
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Monday January 14, 2008

primogeniture
\pry-moh-JEN-ih-choor\, noun: 1. The state of being the firstborn of the same parents; seniority by birth among children of the same family. 2. (Law) An exclusive right of inheritance that belongs to the eldest son.

Anglo-Saxon kings did not succeed on the basis of primogeniture. All the kings offspring were known as aethelings -- throneworthy -- and from this gene pool the royal family would select the aetheling who seemed best qualified for the job.
-- Danny Danziger, The Year 1000

Only now is the British government getting around to eliminating primogeniture and hereditary rights from the British Constitution by expelling hereditary peers from the upper house (still called the House of Lords).
-- Paul Johnson, "Thicker Than Water", National Review, August 11, 2003

Primogeniture is from Late Latin primogenitura, from Latin primus, "first" + genitura, "a begetting, birth, generation," from the past participle of gignere, "to beget."
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Wednesday January 16, 2008

nonagenarian
\non-uh-juh-NAIR-ee-uhn; no-nuh-\, noun: A ninety year old person; someone whose age is in the nineties.

There seemed to be relatively few octogenarians and nonagenarians alive in the early 1930s. Contrast that with my current practice, in which I see a great number of patients in their eighties and nineties.
-- Stephen L. Richmond, "Tales from the Death Certificate", Physician Assistant, January 1999

Good health is essential, of course--a gift that none of these nonagenarians, having outlived friends and loved ones, takes for granted.
-- Roy Huffman, "Working Past 90", Fortune, November 13, 2000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nonagenarian derives from Latin nonagenarius, "containing or consisting of ninety," from nonageni-, "ninety each", ultimately from novem, "nine," as in November, originally the ninth month of the old Roman calendar.
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Thursday January 17, 2008

upbraid
\uhp-BRAYD\, transitive verb: To scold or criticize harshly.

Afterwards, Grace roundly upbraided the boy for his boorishness.
-- Paul L. Mariani, The Broken Tower

That single incident is the only time I can remember my father upbraiding me for my dismal performance as a midshipman.
-- John McCain with Mark Salter, Faith of My Fathers

It could have been mistakenly concluded from this speech upbraiding bad landlords that G. H. Moore was against landlordism as a whole.
-- Adrian Frazier, George Moore, 1852-1933

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upbraid is from Middle English upbreiden, from Old English upbregdan, "to twist up, hence to reproach," from up-, "up" + bregdan, "to move back and forth; to weave."
S Adams
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

Tom upbraided the CEOs for the lack of computer upgrades, for downsizing the downtown workforce and sidewinding the promised Christmas bonuses for their treacherous corporate sidemen.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Tuesday January 22, 2008

permeate
\PUR-mee-ayt\, transitive verb: 1. To spread or diffuse through. 2. To pass through the pores or openings of.
intransitive verb: 1. To spread through or penetrate something.

A darkly sweet aroma permeated the air; white orchid blossoms erupted from snakelike vines.
-- Chu Tien-Wen, Notes of a Desolate Man

Passers-by could see into buildings through display windows, while the warm glow and sweet smells emanating from the shops and cafes permeated the partly enclosed pedestrian ways.
-- Larry R. Ford, The Spaces Between Buildings

The travelers, with their pinched, ferocious expressions and their too brightly glittering eyes, projected an aura of paranoia mixed with anxiety that permeated the bus.
-- Tama Janowitz, A Certain Age

The fear of crime permeates their lives. They worry about being mugged . . . in a parking lot or while walking home from work.
-- David J. Krajicek, Scooped!

Permeate is from Latin permeare, "to go through, to pass through," from per-, "through" + meare, "to go, to pass."
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Wednesday January 23, 2008

effusive
\ih-FYOO-siv\, adjective: Excessively demonstrative; giving or involving extravagant or excessive emotional expression; gushing.

His speeches are embarrassingly effusive; treacle drips from their pages: "I yield to none in my admiration for our teachers, doctors, nurses and police . . . Our public servants are the best in the world, and when given the leadership and investment they need, they achieve world-class standards."
-- Mary Ann Sieghart, "Blair lays bare his iron fist for change", Times (London), June 1, 2001

The effusive praise of critics has no doubt bolstered Beowulf's popularity.
-- Brendan I. Koerner, "Required reading", U.S. News, March 20, 2000

This rectitude, even severity, was also a roundabout way of showing his affection and his generosity, for he was altogether incapable of indulging in effusive sentimentality.
-- Patrice Debré, Louis Pasteur (translated by Elborg Forster)

Effusive, at root meaning "pouring out," comes from Latin effusus, past participle of effundere, "to pour out," from ex-, "out" + fundere, "to pour."
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Thursday January 24, 2008

nolens volens
\NO-lenz-VO-lenz\: Whether unwilling or willing.

Beneath the surface, little-noticed but fundamental changes are taking place that must compel both sides, nolens volens, sooner or later to reconfigure their tortured but inseparable relationship.
-- Bernard Wasserstein, Israelis and Palestinians

Events have put NATO in a position where it is the policeman of Europe and beyond, nolens volens.
-- "NATO then Nato now", Daily Telegraph, April 23, 1999

After all, I'm not sure that I'm so angry with them, for it means that now you've got to remain here indefinitely -- nolens volens.
-- Mina McDonald, "True Stories Of The Great War: Some Experiences In Hungary", History of the World, January 1, 1992

Nolens volens is from the Latin, from nolle, "to be unwilling" + velle, "to wish, to be willing."
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Friday January 25, 2008

disheveled
\dih-SHEV-uhld\, adjective; also dishevelled: In loose disorder; disarranged; unkempt; as, "disheveled hair."

His cheeks were perpetually rosy, and his thinning sandy brown hair was brushed straight back -- and disheveled just enough to suggest a man in a hurry.
-- Kai Bird, The Color of Truth

I was known for my disheveled attire, messy desk and erratic work habits.
-- Michael Isikoff, Uncovering Clinton

He was wearing a disheveled shirt buttoned up wrong and a belt outside the belt loops and even with the beanie on his head looked as always handsome.
-- Susan Minot, Evening

At one point she bends her body in an arc, lifts a hind leg, and scratches her shoulder, leaving a disheveled spot in her fur.
-- Richard Nelson, Heart and Blood

Disheveled is from Old French descheveler, "to disarrange the hair," from des-, "apart" (from Latin dis-) + chevel, "hair," from Latin capillus.
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Word of the Day Monday January 28, 2008

neophyte
\NEE-uh-fyt\, noun: 1. A new convert or proselyte. 2. A novice; a beginner in anything.

I was a complete neophyte and knew nothing about the choreographic process, but seeing the steps pour out of this man was a revelation.
-- Edward Villella, "Remembering Balanchine as the Boss", New York Times, January 26, 1992

She, the neophyte, with as yet no experience of this, had settled eagerly to the task.
-- Anita Brookner, Falling Slowly

As a neophyte in politics, I didn't understand that ducking the issues was the goal of most campaigns.
-- Pat Schroeder, 24 Years of House Work . . . and the Place Is Still a Mess

Neophyte comes from Late Latin neophytus, from Greek neophutos, "newly planted," from neo-, "new" + phutos, "planted," from phuein, "to grow, to bring forth."
S Adams
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

spiphany wrote:Can't remember if this has been mentioned here - those of you interested in improving your vocabulary while helping end hunger should check out the quiz at this site:

holy addictive site, batman!!!! I think I'm going to try to reach 1,000 grains of rice every night :) My vocabulary is bigger than I thought it was.
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

My niece and I were playing last Friday -- together we ended up at 3600 grains. We quit there because it was past dinnertime and we were hungry from seeing all that rice pile up! :lol:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie

Return to “The Appendix”