GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Post by Algot Runeman »

E.P.S. Thank you.
Snoopy's exuberant dance is always a perfect illustration of frabjousness.

Onward!
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but I encourage YOU to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

circumfluent

Pronunciation: /sərˈkəmflo͞oənt, ˌsərkəmˈflo͞oənt/
adjective
flowing around; surrounding.

Derivatives
circumfluence
noun

Origin:
late 16th century: from Latin circumfluent- 'flowing around', from the verb circumfluere, from circum 'around, about' + fluere 'to flow'

Pablo Twose Valls

--------------------------------------------\O/---------------------------------------------

The photo, posted on Flickr, has a highlight near the top center, of a person not going with the flow (contracorriente), a dangerous stance in the face of the circumfluent crowd.
Babson.edu wrote:Moving Crowds

A surge or stampede generates an incredible amount of energy. Experts compare it to a locomotive: once it gets going, it's hard to stop. If you find yourself in the middle don't stand still or sit down – you can easily get trampled. Keep your legs moving in the direction of the crowd, and try getting to the outside where the flow is weaker.
Babson Crowd Sense Tips
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Algot Runeman wrote:Snoopy's exuberant dance is always a perfect illustration of frabjousness.
It's remarkable how an image can stick in one's mind for decades. Kermit's bursts of exuberance do it too, with sound.
Fortunately, recovering Snoopy's frabjous picture was a cinch with Google Images.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

bridge-and-tunnel

adjective
informal
(of a person) living in the suburbs and perceived as unsophisticated: clubs catering to the beautiful people and the bridge-and-tunnel crowds

Origin:
1980s: with reference to the routes used for commuting into New York

Sumeet Mulani

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII//**\\IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

There are suburbans who think city dwellers are the unsophisticated. After all, they might be so insular, they never took the bridge-and-tunnel routes to leave the city.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:bridge-and-tunnel
Shouldn't it be bridge-tunnel-cable in New York's case?
Spoiler: show
Antwerp has its bridge-and-tunnel citizens too. Though there are only tunnels, no bridges nor any cable-cars over the Schelde river. The city has several tunnels - two automobile, one subway, one railway and one pedestrian - to accommodate the many commuters living on the left bank ever since that suburb's population increased rapidly with its many high-rise condoms.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

frugivorous

Pronunciation: /fro͞oˈjivərəs/
noun
Zoology
(of an animal) feeding on fruit.

Derivatives
frugivore
Pronunciation: /ˈfro͞ojiˌvôr/
noun

Origin:
mid 20th century: from Latin frux, frug- 'fruit' + -vore (see -vorous)

Antony Grossy

000000000000000000000000000<*-----------------------//

This odd bird is a true frugivore.
My granddaughter, however, is a pastavore.
Me? Proud omnivore (just too often).
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

cognoscenti

Pronunciation: /ˌkänyōˈSHentē, ˌkägnə-/
plural noun
people who are considered to be especially well informed about a particular subject: it was hailed by the cognoscenti as one of the best golf courses in Europe

Origin:
late 18th century: from Italian conoscenti, literally 'people who know'. The g was added under the influence of Latin cognoscent- 'getting to know', from the verb cognoscere (Italian conoscere)

(No image. You cannot know what we look like. Sorry.)

Bob was not among anybody's list of cognoscenti. In fact, he was the only expert about the aliens. Nobody else knew anything about them. The opinion of others doesn't always matter.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:cognoscenti
... (No image. You cannot know what we look like. Sorry.) ...
The Illuminati were conniving cognoscenti contriving to remain incognito. These conspiring incognitoscenti concealed themselves with the most consummate cunning.

But the modern co-cognoscentus Manfred Powell failed his incognito-ship, in a weak excuse quoting a predecessor:
"My general plan is good, though in the detail there may be faults." (Johann Adam Weishaupt)
j/k
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

ides

Pronunciation: /īdz/
plural noun
(in the ancient Roman calendar) a day falling roughly in the middle of each month (the 15th day of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th of other months), from which other dates were calculated. Compare with nones, calends.

Origin:
late Old English: from Old French, from Latin idus (plural), of unknown origin

^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^ ^(*)^

What Shakespeare didn't tell you about the Ides of March was that the senators were partially confused.
Just before Brutus stabbed Julius, there were shouts of "Seize her, seize her." Everyone looked around for a woman, but then reached out for Ceasar Caesar instead.

[According to the definition above, it is the 31 day months which have the 15th as the ides. In the shorter months it is the 13th. Anybody know why January, August and December which have 31 days isn't included for the ides-15th list?]

Loony Lunar months --- 29.5 days (more or less)
Kalends - new moon
Nones - half moon
Ides - full moon

Roman Calendar

Edit by EPS: corrected the spelling of Caesar and fixed the link.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:ides
... Anybody know why January, August and December which have 31 days isn't included for the ides-15th list? ...
Because these months have idle ides?

BTW. There's the 2011 movie The Ides of March. I wonder what they were thinking when they translated the title in French as: Les Marches du Pouvoir? Am I missing something here? (I haven't seen the film.)
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
BTW. There's the 2011 movie The Ides of March. I wonder what they were thinking when they translated the title in French as: Les Marches du Pouvoir? Am I missing something here? (I haven't seen the film.)

Well, I haven't seen the movie either, but I read the Wikipedia article about it (thus spoiling it for me, but I did not really think I'd see it).
As a matter of fact, I understand the french title better than the english one. None of the VIPs is killed. So why "Ides of March" that implies that the "Big Guy" is killed? "Les Marches du Pouvoir", on the other hand, (whether "marches" is understood as "steps", or as "frontiers", a part of a country distant from the center and only partially controlled, or that needs a strong military presence not to be seized away by foreign powers) describes pretty well the what happens to the main character,
who starts pretty far from the center of decision but eventually gets closer
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

sheeple

Pronunciation: /SHēpəl/
plural noun
informal derogatory
people compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led: by the time the sheeple wake up and try to change things, it will be too late

Origin:
1940s: blend of sheep and people

Atom Smasher

❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣

Cheryl Neeple and the sheeple people

Cheryl chose to shuffle in the line to buy a puffle.
While she didn't need one.
Everyone said they were fun.
She thought she'd try to get one with a ruffle.
umsolopagas
Scholar Adept

Post by umsolopagas »

Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went,
the lamb was sure to sheeple.
Blackadder: Is it cunning?
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

Sheeple is a very popular word in online political articles' comments sections these days.

It doesn't matter if you're D or R or C or L.

At some point you will be called a sheeple.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

sororal

Pronunciation: /səˈrôrəl/
adjective
formal
of or like a sister or sisters.

Origin:
mid 17th century: from Latin soror 'sister' + -al

Terry Feuerborn

-------------------------------------------♀.♀-------------------------------------------

Carol and Cheryl both sat on stately sorrel sires. Though look-alikes who certainly exhibited sororal affection, the girls were not sisters and their steeds were certainly not, either.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:sororal

Even with these two lovely ladies in a harem, I would HATE the sororal assault on my senses, whether in stereo, 5.1 surround sound or any other multichannel rendering.
The monaural screech of one single female is quite enough for me, thank you very much.
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:Even with these two lovely ladies in a harem, I would HATE the sororal assault on my senses, whether in stereo, 5.1 surround sound or any other multichannel rendering.
The monaural screech of one single female is quite enough for me, thank you very much.

I don't screech -- I puuuuuurrrrrrrr.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

snifter

Pronunciation: /ˈsniftər/
noun
a footed glass that is wide at the bottom and tapers to the top, used for brandy and other drinks.
informal a small quantity of an alcoholic drink: care to join me for a snifter?

Origin:
mid 19th century: imitative; compare with dialect snift 'to snort'

TheCulinaryGeek

☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫☫

After they'd each slurped too many from the snifter, John realized he just couldn't lifter. So they swerved and stumbled. By the threshold they were humbled. They didn't even enjoy connubial bliss, sharing only an inebriate kiss. Next morning was 3 pm. Headache hangovers. They shared them.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

sibilate

Pronunciation: /ˈsibəˌlāt/
verb
[with object]
utter with a hissing sound.

Derivatives
sibilation
Pronunciation: /ˌsibəˈlāSHən/
noun

Origin:
mid 17th century: from Latin sibilat- 'hissed, whistled', from the verb sibilare

bigdrumthump.com

s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-stopme before the Submit!

Ssidney ssurprissed Ssusan by ssuccessfuly sibilating sseveral sstanzass ssourced from a sseriess of ssongss ssimultaneoussly.

Of course she wasn't pleased because no matter his tune the words came out utter nonsense.

[ssspelling misssstressssss, forgive me.]
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:sibilate
Her face was totally devoid of any expression. There was no way to tell whether it was for pleasure over the appetising tidbit or disappointment because it wasn't cooked, but when Sibil ate the mouse, she made kind of a hissing sound.
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

Algot Runeman wrote:sibilate
Her face was totally devoid of any expression. There was no way to tell whether it was for pleasure over the appetising tidbit or disappointment because it wasn't cooked, but when Sibil ate the mouse, she made kind of a hissing sound.

Brilliant!!! :clap: :lol:

Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

krummholz

Pronunciation: /ˈkro͝omhōlts/
noun
stunted windblown trees growing near the tree line on mountains.

Origin:
early 20th century: from German, literally 'crooked wood'

sigwv

================================================================

Claire blessed the strength of the bough to which she clung. The krummholz was her only, and meager, shelter. The storm had crested the peaks above and behind her. Her descent in light pack had begun in light breeze, bright sun and a temperature of 72°F. Claire had crossed the broad, sun warmed granite on the trail down the mountain, and within 20 minutes the sun was obscured by cloud. The temperature had dropped thirty degrees. The granite became slick with wind driven pellets of ice.

Clutching her emergency blanket around her, Claire wedged herself as tight as she could under the horizontal boughs, hoping the sudden, violent storm would pass as quickly as it began. She knew that was often the case with late summer weather. The first blast of thunder assaulted her eardrums even before she sensed the lightning.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:krummholz... Claire blessed the strength of the bough to which she clung. The krummholz was her only, and meager, shelter. ... The first blast of thunder assaulted her eardrums even almost but not quite before she sensed the lightning.
Fortunately after the thunderstorm had passed, Claire and her boyfriend Kurt got home in one piece, mostly unscathed. She only suffered a few scrapes, a broken fingernail and wet panties.

But the purpose of Claire and Kurt's romantic hike had failed miserably. His chronic krummholz upward curve wasn't cured, on the contrary, it got worse. He now drooped downwards ... :slap:

P.S. It's impossible to hear thunder before sensing its causative lightning.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

My apologies to E.P.S and all others. Scientific cause and effect came out sounding backward in my irreverent submission. :cry:
The intent of the thunder-then-lightning was supposed to imply that Claire had not even had time to notice the flash before the assault of noise.
I think E.P.S. did a better job of writing what I should have.

How about:
The first blast of thunder assaulted her eardrums even before she'd had time to jump at the lightning.
Perhaps E.P.S. will even anticipate my next (inevitable) mistake and correct it before it happens. Hmm. However, that, too would probably be a chronological conundrum. :slap:
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Algot Runeman wrote:krummholz... Claire blessed the strength of the bough to which she clung. The krummholz was her only, and meager, shelter. ... The first blast of thunder assaulted her eardrums even almost but not quite before she sensed the lightning.
Fortunately after the thunderstorm had passed, Claire and her boyfriend Kurt got home in one piece, mostly unscathed. She only suffered a few scrapes, a broken fingernail and wet panties.

But the purpose of Claire and Kurt's romantic hike had failed miserably. His chronic krummholz upward curve wasn't cured, on the contrary, it got worse. He now drooped downwards ... :slap:

P.S. It's impossible to hear thunder before sensing its causative lightning.
Well, strictly speaking: when a thunderstorm arrives on you, though if you see a particular strike of lightning, the corresponding thunder will always reach your ears later, it is not at all uncommon that you hear many thunderclaps, even very loud ones, (correlated with strikes of lightning that are hidden by the clouds) before you can actually see a bolt of lightning (and only then hear the thunderclap associated to it...) But maybe that was not what you meant, Algot...
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]

Return to “The Appendix”