Ratings

Suggestions on the Internet Book List.

Moderator: S.Jeffery

tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

coincidentally, I updated the ratings just before logging into the forum LOL It's fixed.
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur
Zybahn
Scribe Adept

Post by Zybahn »

It's been down for some time now.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

Just updated the ratings table. Let me know if you're still having trouble.
Zybahn
Scribe Adept

Post by Zybahn »

The ratings seem to sneak away a lot lately. They seemed to have slipped away as soon as you rest them.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

Should be fixed again *sigh* Steven, is there a reason this is suddenly a problem again?
JohnAFair
Apprentice Scribe

Post by JohnAFair »

tollbaby wrote:Should be fixed again *sigh* Steven, is there a reason this is suddenly a problem again?
Been here and mostly gone again over the last month...
JohnF
www.johnsbooks.co.uk
www.johnsbooks.co.uk/quiz - test your SF&F knowledge!
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

*sigh* STEVEN!!!!!! I'll go poke the ratings table again.
jeelau
Bookworm

Post by jeelau »

Hey, don't know if anyone noticed, but the ratings seem to be down for all but a few of the books.
naes
Bookworm

Post by naes »

I've been using IBL for a few years now and in my experience the rating system (in particular the pages that are supposed to list books by rating) seem very flaky. It often seems to have incomplete information or missing counts even for books I have just rated.

I don't think the Book rating list have been correct on even 1 day this month.

Is the cause of this problem understood?

I'd be quite happy to look over code or whatever in a help to sort this problem out.
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

Sorry, I can't do anything about reseting the ratings. I'll pass it on the Steven; he should be able to take care of it.

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what the problem is. Last I heard, we thought it had something to do with new users rating books, but I don't know any more than that.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
Zybahn
Scribe Adept

Post by Zybahn »

So new users should stop rating books.

(joke)

Sadly, ratings are down again.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

It's actually the forum software. It should be fixed when we upgrade the site later this year.
rip8fan1
Devoted Scholar

Post by rip8fan1 »

Starting in September (hopefully, with a little bit of luck), I'll start posting some statistics, and for the last four months of 2009, I'll be trying to tweak these statistics so people get the most out of them. Then starting in 2010, with lots of luck and user feedback, I can post statistics every month that really help (or get some talking going, or get some ratings going)!!

For this endeavor, I'd like to ask somebody that does the coding behind the scenes for a small favor!!

Currently the URL would look like this:

http://www.iblist.com/list_by_rating.ph ... invotes=20

I want to be able to get books that are close to 20 votes and can do that by doing this to the url:

http://www.iblist.com/list_by_rating.ph ... otes=[b]18[/b]

But then I have a lot of books to go through which will take up too much time, so could I have the following to work:

http://www.iblist.com/list_by_rating.ph ... axvotes=19

Thus I would only get a list of books that have 18 or 19 votes!!

Thanks.

Edit,
It would be really grand if you could do it for Books, Authors, and Series!!!!
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

:? I'm confused...what would we gain by pulling up only books that have exactly a certain number of votes?

The idea behind listing the rank with a certain minimum vote is that it rules out books that have only one or two votes, i.e., where we don't have enough votes to really have a representative sampling. After a point, it doesn't matter so much whether there are 50 votes, or 100. Or am I missing something? (Statistics have never been my strong point.)
rip8fan1
Devoted Scholar

Post by rip8fan1 »

spiphany wrote::? I'm confused...what would we gain by pulling up only books that have exactly a certain number of votes?

The idea behind listing the rank with a certain minimum vote is that it rules out books that have only one or two votes, i.e., where we don't have enough votes to really have a representative sampling. After a point, it doesn't matter so much whether there are 50 votes, or 100. Or am I missing something? (Statistics have never been my strong point.)
If I can highlight the books that are just one or two votes away from a certain plateau (20, 40, 80, 160), then it might 'lure' some voters to vote for those books in the next month or so.
severance
Scribe Adept

Eh?

Post by severance »

No, no, no - all you have to do is put an 18 at the end of the URL instead of 20 - then you'll see that Neverendig Story has 18 votes, as has The Sword of the Lictor, while The Great Book of Amber has 19. It's a five minute job to do it all manually, whereas it'll be a lot longer for the coders to write a script for something that isn't that important.
rip8fan1
Devoted Scholar

Re: Eh?

Post by rip8fan1 »

severance wrote:No, no, no - all you have to do is put an 18 at the end of the URL instead of 20 - then you'll see that Neverendig Story has 18 votes, as has The Sword of the Lictor, while The Great Book of Amber has 19. It's a five minute job to do it all manually, whereas it'll be a lot longer for the coders to write a script for something that isn't that important.

I understand. I didn't think it would be very tough for the coders to ADD a new URL variable to three current scripts, where the URL variable would be missing most of the time. But if they need to make all new scripts, it isn't worth their time. Instead I'll spend the extra time every month doing it manually (if I feel up to it). I used to code websites all the time, and I added in literally thousands of url variables into my coding and it would normally take me about five minutes for each one, but I guess those good 'ol days are past.
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

Um, it's not really about difficulty, the thing is, we have almost no one working on coding right now...so any programming that is done is usually of fairly high priority.

If you have programming experience and want to help out, please contact Steven: steven@iblist.com; we can use you.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

Sorry folks, I don't even have time to lurk on this forum most of the time. Discussions are beginning for the site revamp, which, due to lack of funding, isn't planned until early 2010 if I'm not mistaken (if I am, I'm sure Steven will hit me later LOL).

I do know that the ratings system is one of the things that's slated for a major overhaul, as none of us (Steven included) are happy with how it's performed thus far.
avnika
Bookworm

Re: Ratings

Post by avnika »

Can someone update the ratings? I cant see the votes for the books which I have already voted.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

*grumble* hopefully when the site gets its facelift/overhaul, this will stop happening.

Sorry gang, I don't even lurk on the forums much anymore, so I'm never aware when this is happening. I'll try to just update them once a week or so and hopefully no one will get stuck.
kanjisheik
Apprentice Scribe

Post by kanjisheik »

Ratings have been down for sometime now. :(
http://kanjisheik.blogspot.com

Return to “IBList Suggestions”